[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Lars Knudsen larsgk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:44:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:29:24AM +0100, Aleksander Morgado wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> can not

> > > Ah, fun :(
> > >
> > > So, we can add a quirk into the kernel cdc-acm driver to never bind to
> > > device that has the wusb platform capability descriptor, which will
> > > prevent you from having to disconnect the driver from the device (and
> > > the permissions issues involved in that.)
> > >
> > > Would that help out?
> > >
> > > And just do the same thing in modem manager, never grab a device with
> > > this descriptor, and let the browser/webusb handle the control of the
> > > device if it so desires.
> >
> > Not sure anything would be required in ModemManager if the kernel
> > already skips the binding to cdc-acm; i.e. ModemManager won't do
> > anything unless the TTY is exposed.
>
> Great, that was easy then!
>
> So, who is going to send in the kernel patch for this? :)

To be sure we don't miss anything, let's give the folks in California a
chance to give their input.

In any case, WebUSB looks very cool and looks like a starting point for
finally getting an easy way (a bit like BLE vs Bluetooth) for average users
connecting USB devices in a secure and cross-platform compliant way to the
web.

br
Lars