[systemd-devel] WebUSB

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 18:08:00 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 18:33 +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 06:23:13PM +0100, Lars Knudsen wrote:
> >

> > On Jan 10, 2017 18:19, "Greg KH" <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 06:04:46PM +0100, Lars Knudsen wrote:
> >     > I figured that made most sense :)
> >     >
> >     > Still, it would be good if we could have a rule to not grab
> > the CDC
> >     interface
> >     > part if the device includes WebUSB functionality.
> >
> >     What exactly do you mean by "grab"?
> >
> > MM probing :)
>
> Probe should be fine, right?  Are you really thinking that MM needs
> go "oh look, a cdc device, let's go look at all of the raw interfaces
> ensure it really isn't a webusb device as well before I touch it!"
>
> That way lies madness...
>
> What's wrong with touching it?  The kernel already did, why would
> userspace care?

And we're quite happy to keep blacklisting specific VID/PID combos we
know are not modems. Another possible solution is to greylist devices
that happen to have webusb descriptors, such that they won't get auto-
probed, but could be probed on-demand via D-Bus.  But I'd rather that
happen via udev rules than MM trying to walk USB device attributes and
parsing webusb descriptors.

Dan