[systemd-devel] unit names in systemd log entries

Yuri D'Elia wavexx at thregr.org
Wed Jan 11 14:41:18 UTC 2017

When systemd is generating log entries for some units, it writes the
human description in the syslog:

systemd[xy]: Starting GnuPG cryptographic agent...
systemd[xy]: Stopping GnuPG cryptographic agent...
systemd[xy]: Closing GnuPG cryptographic agent...

however, over time I've found this behavior increasingly annoying. I
don't want to see the human description in there, but the actual unit
name.

The description is fine for looking at the status of a service (as the
unit name is right there), but it does not help in the log, since I have
to go and look which unit has the same description (essentially, I have
to grep). The unit name is what matters.

Any thoughts?