[systemd-devel] What information does machine-id leak?

Bryan Quigley bryan.quigley at canonical.com
Fri Jan 20 19:54:30 UTC 2017

But what information is it carrying that is private?  If it's just the
best way to identify a machine, that's really what I'm after.

Here are two of my uses (all in debugging/troubleshooting purposes):
* Sosreport captures logs/other information and currently captures the
dbus machine-id (which this is) and the whoopsie-id
* currently if you have the whoopsie-id you can lookup crashreports*
on the Ubuntu Error tracker.

Neither use is app specific, they need to identify that machine and
not be dependent on what tool you are using.  In most of these cases
we have a lot of information on the machine already.

Kind regards,
Bryan

*You can see what crashed and when but not get access to anything else.