[systemd-devel] horrible outout - failed at step NAMESPACE spawning

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 3 13:59:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, 03.07.17 15:53, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> Jul 3 15:48:01 backup-arrakis systemd: named.service: Failed at step
> NAMESPACE spawning /usr/libexec/setup-named-chroot.sh: No such file or
> directory
>
> by all repsect, this output is completly nonsense when the reason is some
> "InaccessibleDirectories" no longer exists and is not prefixed with a dash
> because it's not helpful to mention the binary with a "no such file"

Yes, we can certainly improve the log message in this case, please
file an RFE bug for that.

Do note though, that fixing this specific issue is not as trivial as
it sounds, as the namespacing operations happen very shortly before we
actually execve() the service binary, at a time where the usual
logging channels are already gone... Or to say this differently: that
late in the game the only obvious way to report an error back to PID 1
is through process exit codes, which you see, and everything else is
not entirely trivial.