[systemd-devel] /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants/ no longer checked for unit files

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 10:24:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>
wrote:

> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6334
>
> Since this commit
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/2d058a87ffb2d31a50422a8aebd119
> bbb4427244
> (in v233 and v234), you can no longer create
> /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants/ and drop in service files
> (or symlinks).  The directory is skipped.  I have reverted the commit
> on top of systemd from git and that makes defaults.target.wants work
> again.
>
> Is this supposed to work?  It worked fine since at least Fedora 18-25,
> but it is now broken in Fedora 26.
>
> If it was never supposed to work, how are you supposed to enable a
> service for the default target, even allowing for the user to change
> the default target and still have the service enabled?

The current convention is to install all regular services into
multi-user.target, and I would expect all custom "daily use" targets to be
superset of multi-user.target as well, like the provided graphical.target
already is.

IMHO, don't try to second-guess the user. If they know how to create custom
targets, they'll probably know how to look what's inside their
multi-user.target.wants/ and deal with it.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>