[systemd-devel] [networkd] Unable to set MTU with .link file

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 21:36:10 UTC 2017

On 06/08/2017 11:03 PM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I am tearing my hair out trying to figure out why I an unable to set the
> MTU of an OVS port with a .link file.

Replying to myself for posterity ...

As so often seems to be the case, my difficulties were due to that
recurring issue, "You're doing it wrong."

TL;DR - Setting different MTUs on different ports of an OVS bridge
doesn't work as expected, so using separate tagged ports on the host OS
isn't the way to go.

Instead, create VLAN netdevs on top of the trunked OVS port (treating
it as if it were a physical interface or bond).  For example:

98-ovs0.link:

     [Match]
     OriginalName=ovs0

     [Link]