[systemd-devel] configurable IDN flags usage in getnameinfo()

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 13 20:37:58 UTC 2017

On Tue, 13.06.17 03:11, Waldemar Brodkorb (wbx at openadk.org) wrote:

> Another option might be to add a new configure option to
> control the IDN usage in systemd. You already have a lot of
> fine granular options to configure systemd, another would'nt harm.

While I am not a fan of the proliferation of config options I think
this one would probably be OK.

Having an option for disabling all IDN support should be OK.

> I am not asking to add any C library specific workaround, but for
> a little portability/configurability with nearly no costs.
>
> Sure I could add libidn to uClibc-ng like GNU C library to add
> the missing IDN functionality, but this would add nearly 1 megabyte
> of code, which isn't a nice option for embedded Linux people.
> du -chs libidn/
> 956K    libidn/
> 956K    total

I wonder if there's really a good reason why the IDN stuff needs to be
that large... The algorithms behind it appear to be relatively simple,
no? Maybe I am missing something, but maybe a nice way out would be to
implement the algorithms in a more minimal fashion...