[systemd-devel] Returning arrays from sd-bus methods

guhan balasubramanian guhan.sac at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 19:19:53 UTC 2017

Hi Lennart,

Thank you for the reply. Please find my comments inline:

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 12:55 AM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net
> wrote:

> On Fri, 23.06.17 20:45, guhan balasubramanian (guhan.sac at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently trying out sd-bus methods for my application. I am in a
> > situation where I must accept an input and return a byte array based on
> the
> > input.
> >
> > In the vtable. the following declaration is present:
> > SD_BUS_METHOD("method_id", "x", "ay", method_1, 0)
> >
> > And inside the definition for method_1, for returning:
> > uint8_t b[2] = {0x01, 0x02};
> > sd_bus_reply_method_return(m, "ay", b);
>
> if you use sd_bus_reply_method_return() (or sd_bus_append()) the
> arguments to pass for an array is the array's size followed by the
> members. Hence, the following should do what you want:
>
>         sd_bus_reply_method_return(m, "ay", 2, 0x01, 0x02);

This worked for me. But I had the following three questions based on this:

1. Would it be a good design to construct a va_list of the array elements
and pass it as the last argument in sd_bus_reply_method_return?

2. I wasn't able to find the definition for sd_bus_append, I think you
meant *sd_bus_message_append*() right? But, if I do that and append the
array, I wouldn't be able to use *sd_bus_reply_method_return* with the
correct type. I was able to achieve this on get-property, since
property_handlers wouldn't need a return.

I am not sure about how to handle this one. Would I be able to find a
reference code/doc for this?

3. Is there an API to pass the entire container (array in this case) for a
 method return?

> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Red Hat