[systemd-devel] How to use machinectl to get a running centos container?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Mar 3 09:58:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, 03.03.17 12:34, Daurnimator (quae at daurnimator.com) wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a centos 7 container with machinectl.
> I've tried to run:
>
> machinectl pull-raw --verify=no
> http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-1701.raw.tar.gz

Hmm, what is a ".raw.tar.gz" file? That suffix makes no sense to me...

> This downloads the image, but then dies with:
>
> File overly large, refusing
> Failed to retrieve image file. (Wrong URL?)
> Exiting.

How large is the file?

> Is there some other way I should be doing this?

We support raw disk images and tarballs with OS trees in them, both
compressed and non-compressed.

There's currently a safety limit against overly large images enforced,
of 8GiB. If the indicated image is larger than that, and that's
intended we should probably bump this safety limit substantially (32G?
64G?), please file a github issue asking for this if this is the
case. Or even better prep a PR, the fix is trivial:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/import/pull-job.c#L530