[systemd-devel] Question about systemd-firstboot

Francis Moreau francis.moro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 16:31:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> It depends on the command-line parameters: 'ro' and 'rw' both work.
> 'rw' is actually recommended if you're using an initramfs.

who is recommending 'rw' ?

do you have any pointers ?

> Otherwise, an empty /etc/machine-id may be present, if /etc is read-only
> at boot, in which case systemd will do a temporary mount.
>
> So 'ro' is supported, but you either need an /etc/machine-id file or
> a place to mount one temporarily.

So if 'ro' is used, systemd-firstboot is not working. If it's expected
I think it would worth a note in the documentation.

On my setup, neither 'rw' nor 'ro' is passed so I assume 'ro' is the default.

Thanks for your help
--
Francis