[systemd-devel] Renaming interfaces with systemd.link

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 20:56:54 UTC 2017

On 03/30/2017 10:15 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> My educated guess is that your .link file was ignored due to the
> existance of /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link. Make sure to
> prefix your .link file with some number < 99 to ensure it takes
> precedence.

I think I've asked this before, but is there some reason that
99-default.link can't be renamed to ZZZZ-default.link or something else
that will sort with a lower precedence?

It's pretty natural to want to create files with names like eno1.link,
enp2s0f0.link, etc.  I can't help thinking that a lot of time gets
wasted by people trying to figure out why .link files with this sort of
name don't work.