[systemd-devel] Best way to configure longer start timeout for .device units?

Martin Wilck mwilck at suse.com
Mon May 8 08:46:55 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-04-29 at 13:40 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 28.04.17 09:36, Michal Sekletar (msekleta at redhat.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On big setups (read: a lot of multipathed disks), probing and
> > assembling storage may take significant amount of time. However, by
> > default systemd waits only 90s (DefaultTimeoutStartSec) for
> > "top-level" device unit to show up, i.e. one that is referenced in
> > /etc/fstab.
> >
> > One possible solution is to change JobTimeout for device unit by
> > adding x-systemd.device-timeout= option to fstab entries. This is
> > kinda ugly.
> >
> > Another option is to bump value of DefaultTimeoutStartSec, since
> > that
> > is what systemd uses as default timeout for device's unit start
> > job.
> > However, this has possible negative effect on all other units as
> > well,
> > e.g. service Exec* timeouts will be affected by this change.
> >
> > I am looking for elegant solution that doesn't involve rewriting
> > automation scripts that manage /etc/fstab.
> >
> > Is there any other way how to configure the timeout? Can't we
> > introduce new timeout value specifically for device units?
> >
> > Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.
>
> Note that x-systemd.device-tiemout= is implemented by simply writing
> out drop-in snippets for the .device unit. Hence, if you know the
> device unit names ahead you can write this out from any tool you
> like.
>
> I am not overly keen on adding global but per-unit-type options for
> this, but then again I do see the usefulness, hence such a
> DefaultDeviceTimeoutStartSec= setting might be OK to add...

Wouldn't this be, at least in part, be covered by using the newly
introduced "JobRunningTimeoutSec" for devices?

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/db7076bf78bd8e466ae927b6d3ddf
64190c8d299

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/5164

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck <mwilck at suse.com>, Tel. +49 (0)911 74053 2107
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton