[systemd-devel] [Debate] Transition from professional to popular?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 11 22:58:18 UTC 2017

Am 11.05.2017 um 21:50 schrieb ebay at a6.25u.com:
> On 05/11/17 21:40, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Thu, 11.05.17 21:24, ebay at a6.25u.com (ebay at a6.25u.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Operating systems (that might use the Linux kernel) are being
>>> streamlined from being professional into being popular.
>>>
>>> systemd is a small factor in that development.
>>>
>>> But what is really achieved by this?
>>>
>>> Scaring away a professional audience with black boxes,
>>> in-transparency or feature creeping in favor of gaining the interest
>>> of e.g. a gamer audience?
>>>
>>> Does it really matter to gamers what operating system they use? Or
>>> does it matter to the people who streamline (ruin) operating systems
>>> (that might use the Linux kernel) for that audience?
>>>
>>> Just food for thought.
>>>
>>> Personally, I can always chroot and cheat my way out of the path that
>>> leads to the streamlined garbage.
>>>
>>> But operating systems (that might use the Linux kernel) lose their
>>> professional advantages they had over the alternatives only to become
>>> popular.
>>>
>>> So we end up having popular but redundant operating systems for the
>>> price of professionality? And professionals have to turn to LFS?
>>
>> This is a technical mailing list. Please keep it that way. If you want
>> to discuss philosophical issues, please find a different forum, there
>> are plenty of those.
>> Thank you,
>
> I should have known that before I posted it.

you should have saied *anything* related
just install https://devuan.org/ as long it exists

> Now you will have to manually remove my post from the archive.
>
> Sorry for that.

problem is that you did not have to say anyhtign in your post

 >>> Operating systems (that might use the Linux kernel) are being
 >>> streamlined from being professional into being popular

if you make your decisions by "popular" you are screwed from the very
begin and if you think sysvinit-scripts are less blackboxes go ahead and
explain 10 of them from line to line without any doubt