[systemd-devel] systemd user session manager

Ronan Le Martret [ IoT.bzh ] ronan.lemartret at iot.bzh
Mon May 15 15:41:52 UTC 2017

Hi,
I'm Ronan from Iot.bzh team and I'm currently working on AGL project.
https://www.automotivelinux.org/
(AGL is an embedded system).

For the AGL project, I use systemd as a user login session manager.
Throw a service "*agl-user-session at .service"*

[Service]
User=%i
PAMName=agl-user-session // (2)
ExecStart=-/bin/sleep 2147483648 // (1)
KillMode=mixed
Delegate=yes
TasksMax=infinity

(1):
We need to have a process up so, as a first steep, I use a "sleep".

(2):
we can't use "systemd-user" for the PAMName.
PAMName "systemd-user" is hardcoded here:
./src/login/pam_systemd.c:267
And we want logind create a session for us, this is why we use a custom
PAMName "agl-user-session"

Question:
1)
Can you confirm, is it a good way to use systemd?

2)
Does systemd have a alternative?

Regards,
Ronan Le Martret [IoT.bzh]