[systemd-devel] Dropping core with Systemd.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 17 09:27:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, 15.05.17 11:54, Steve Dickson (SteveD at RedHat.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want rpcbind to drop core so I can debug
> something but systemd keeps getting in the way
>
> systemd: rpcbind.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
> audit: ANOM_ABEND auid=4294967295 uid=32 gid=32 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:rpcbind_t:s0 pid=2787 comm="rpcbind" exe="/usr/bin/rpcbind" sig=6
> systemd: rpcbind.service: Unit entered failed state.
> audit: SERVICE_STOP pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 subj=system_u:system_r:init_t:s0 msg='unit=rpcbind comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=failed'
> systemd: rpcbind.service: Failed with result 'signal'.
> systemd: Starting RPC Bind...
> systemd: Started RPC Bind.
>
> How do I stop systemd from restarting rpcbind and allowing
> the process to drop core?

I figure rpcbind is restarted because a pending socket activation
request remains in rpcbind's socket?

systemd will stop restarting the service if the start limit of the
service is hit, but until that point it will keep restarting it. You
may configure the per-service start limit with StartLimitIntervalSec=
and StartLimitBurst=.

That said, if you just want to temporarily block a service from
starting use:

# systemctl mask --runtime rpcbind

and then, to remove the block again:

# systemctl unmask --runtime rpcbind

If you use a system where coredumpctl is enabled you can just type
"coredumpctl" to see the most recent coredumps. You can also type
"coredumpctl gdb" to get a gdb instance on it.

If you use some other coredump manager (abrt?) you'd have to ping that
community for help...