[systemd-devel] Is there a way to override the "Where" option in mount units?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 1 10:50:53 UTC 2017

On Mi, 01.11.17 11:40, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Hmm, rpc_pipefs is a virtual API fs, right? If so, it really shouldn't
> > be mounted below /var in the first place. Any chance you can work with
> > the NFS folks to maybe move it below /run (or /sys or so) where API
> > file systems really belong? Otherwise everybody who wants to run /var
> > on FNS will run into the same problems sooner or later.
>
> Fwiw, in Debian rpc_pipefs is mounted under /run:
>
> $ systemctl cat run-rpc_pipefs.mount
> # /lib/systemd/system/run-rpc_pipefs.mount
> [Unit]
> Description=RPC Pipe File System
> DefaultDependencies=no
> Conflicts=umount.target
>
> [Mount]
> What=sunrpc
> Where=/run/rpc_pipefs
> Type=rpc_pipefs

I wished people would stop placing stuff directly below /run, and
instead stick to per-subsystem subdirs, i.e /run/nfs/rpc_pipefs would
be the better place I think.

So, Fedora/RHEL/upstream go the subsystem directory part right, and
Debian got the /run thing right. I wished people could agree on
/run/nfs as a common solution now ;-)