[systemd-devel] Trying to use systemd-nspawn on Windows Subsystem for Linux - Ubuntu

Karlin High karlinhigh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 16:31:39 UTC 2017

Windows Subsystem for Linux is one of my favorite Windows 10 features.
But when I am trying to set up a special Linux environment with lots
of compiled-from-source programs and dependencies, I'd rather not
clutter it all up for everything else I want to do. The systemd-nspawn
containers seem like a good solution. But when I try to use it, I get
this error:

failed to determine whether the unified cgroups hierarchy is used: no
medium found

I've looked around a little for solutions, but failed to find
anything. I understand this could be a Microsoft problem, not a
systemd problem. But before I go to Microsoft, I'd like to have info
like "systemd-nspawn needs X in order to work. Can we have that added
or changed?" And if the systemd development community does not have
the capacity or interest to pursue this issue; I understand - just say
so. If that's not the case, here's what I'm looking at.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit "Fall Creators Update" Version 1709, Build 16299.19

Running Ubuntu under Windows Subsystem for Linux, details:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage *ubuntu*

Name              : CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows
Publisher         : CN=23596F84-C3EA-4CD8-A7DF-550DCE37BCD0
Architecture      : X64
ResourceId        :
Version           : 1604.2017.922.0
PackageFullName   :
CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_1604.2017.922.0_x64__79rhkp1fndgsc
InstallLocation   : C:\Program
Files\WindowsApps\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_1604.2017.922.0_x64__79rhkp1fndgsc
IsFramework       : False
PackageFamilyName : CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_79rhkp1fndgsc
PublisherId       : 79rhkp1fndgsc
IsResourcePackage : False
IsBundle          : False
IsDevelopmentMode : False
IsPartiallyStaged : False
SignatureKind     : Store
Status            : Ok

In that Ubuntu environment:

$ uname -a
Linux MYSYSTEM 4.4.0-43-Microsoft #1-Microsoft Wed Dec 31 14:42:53 PST
2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ systemd-nspawn --version
systemd 229
+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP
+LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
+KMOD -IDN

Any suggestions on what I could try to reslove the "unified cgroups"
error I'm getting?
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA