[systemd-devel] systemctl --user roadmap question

Jeff Solomon jsolomon8080 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 17:20:05 UTC 2017

Hi,

RHEL removed support for systemd "user services" because they said:

"Basically we don't know if systemd --user will stay in systemd as is right
now.
So we have decided to disable it completely so we will not hit regression
in future versions of centos."

That statement was made 18 months ago.

Any update from the systemd side? Is "systemctl --user" going to stay the
way it is? Dramatically change? Or even be removed? Just wondering if there
has been any decisions made on the roadmap for "systemctl --user".

I personally find it VERY convenient to allow regular users to run their
services using the power of systemd.

Jeff