[systemd-devel] [systemd memory-leak] leak in systemd version 195

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 16:39:07 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017, 18:30 Shekhar arya <shadowcat.arya at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am using systemd v195. With normal system operation, there is a little
> increase in the system's memory. But, when I run certain commands to get
> big files over ssh every 30 minutes, I see that the system go unresponsive
> after 3 days. Further analysis led to the root cause of the issue as
> systemd memory leak. There is an increase of around ~200MB in the VM. This
> increase is contributed by ~44MB in heap and ~160MB in certain section of
> the systemd which I am not sure.

v195 is five years old, already on the far end of "unsupported". It's
likely that the leak has been fixed long ago. If you absolutely cannot
upgrade, see if you can find something relevant in post-v195 commit logs.

My only guess is that each connection results in a new unit (maybe a
.scope, or an instance of user at .service, or... whatever existed back then)
and those are not properly garbage-collected later.

--

Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
Sent from my phone