[systemd-devel] What is the recommended way to setup the compose key ?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 08:57:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to figure out how I can configure a compose key for the
> >> consoles.
> >>
> >> I looked at man localectl and vconsole.conf but haven't found an answer.
> >

> > You'd need to edit the actual keyboard layout in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps.
> See
> > i386/include/compose.inc and i386/qwerty/{cz,lv}.map.gz for examples.
>
> Do you mean I need to edit my preferred map in /usr/share to include
> compose.inc ?

You will need more than that – grep the other examples for 'compose'.

> If so I don't think I'm supposed to change any files in /usr/share/kbd...

Probably not, but that's the only location keymaps are loaded from (whether
you use systemd or regular loadkeys).

> Wouldn't it be simpler to add the compose key in vconsole.conf so it's
> loaded automatically ?

And where would it get the actual compose definitions from? They have to be
defined in the keymap itself.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>