[systemd-devel] failed to schedule restart job: Transaction is destructive.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Nov 28 14:12:45 UTC 2017

On Di, 28.11.17 14:44, prashantkumar dhotre (prashantkumardhotre at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi
> Sometimes i see that service restart fails with
> systemd[1]: *my.service failed to schedule restart job: Transaction is
> destructive.*

The restart logic of services is very defensive: it won't reverse
already queued jobs: if a stop job for some unit is queued, and
starting the unit the Restart= setting is applied to would pull it
back in then the restart is not done.

In other words: it appears that some unit your unit depends on already
has a contradicting job queued at the moment the restart is supposed
to happen.