[systemd-devel] systemd-coredump gets terminated during shutdown

Joel Holdsworth joel.holdsworth at vcatechnology.com
Thu Oct 12 18:23:15 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I have an issue with the standard unit file:
./units/systemd-coredump at .service.in

In my use case if the main application crashes twice in 2-minutes, the
system will reboot into a recovery environment. I'm using
systemd-coredump to capture the coredump files, but the problem is that
if the reboot is triggered, then the coredump process is killed during
shutdown before the coredump has been written to disk.

First of all, I'm having trouble correcting this behaviour. The
systemd-coredump at .service should have no Conflicts=shutdown.target, and
it must have Before=shutdown.target. I tried making similar changes to
the corresponding .slice and .socket - but for some reason the coredump
process is still getting killed. Is there any way to make systemd log
the reason why a process was chosen for termination?

Also, the coredump process need to complete before the the relevant
partition is unmounted. Is there a way to do that?

These are all systemd n00b questions. But the bigger question is about
whether this is a bug in the standard unit files.

Thanks

Joel Holdsworth