[systemd-devel] udev

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Thu Oct 26 18:03:22 UTC 2017

On 10/26/17, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017, 18:26 David Henderson <dhenderson at digital-pipe.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon all!  I have been looking for the udev source code to
>> compile the library and utilities and it appears it is bundled in the
>> systemd software.  I have run autoreconf to generate a configure
>> script (using version 233 since I don't have meson), but could not see
>> a way to just compile this software.  How do I accomplish this?
>>

> You could run `make systemd-udevd libudev.so`.
>
> I'm not sure how to package just udevd. Maybe take a look at how distros
> like Gentoo achieve this.
>
> Note that sooner or later you *will* need to install meson. The overall
> process will be similar though, with `ninja` also accepting individual
> targets to build.

Thanks for the tip Mantas!  So I suppose there is no 'make install
udevd libudev' style syntax to handle that aspect.  If not, no
worries.  I am creating a profile for a software builder I made that
can handle the installation of those files otherwise.

Currently I am building a software repository for a Linux distro I
have built (XiniX) that started as a fork of another distro, but their
own repo is a disaster.  Neither theirs nor mine has the meson
builder.  IIRC, I think I briefly looked at creating a package for it,
but ran into issues.  I'm sure you are aware that rebuilding a repo
from scratch is no small feat so I moved on to others since it does
not appear that a lot of software uses it.  I do have plans to add it
at some point, but in the instances that a software project does use
it, typically the prior version from the most current does not use it
(which is what I end up using).

Although I need to upload the latest version, if you're interested,
the builder can be found at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/software-builder/?source=directory

XiniX OS:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xinix/?source=navbar