[systemd-devel] Auto fsck on hotplug

Andy Pieters Pieters.Andy+systemd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 21:17:46 UTC 2017

On 22 September 2017 at 16:03, Andy Pieters <Pieters.Andy+systemd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 22 September 2017 at 15:51, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fr, 22.09.17 15:21, Andy Pieters (Pieters.Andy+systemd at gmail.com)
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Apologies if already covered or not suitable for this mailing list.
>> >
>> > As the title says, does anyone have any ideas on autofsck on
>> hotplugging a
>> > USB storage device containing jfs.
>> >
>> > Mount always fails if the jfs is dirty, but a single fsck is all that is
>> > needed to make it mountable again...
>>
>> You can put something together using the SYSTEMD_WANTS udev property,
>> and pull in a systemd-fsck at .service instance for your device from
>> there.
>>
>> That said, I'd suggest going the other way, and just using
>> "systemd-mount" instead for mounting the device. It has a couple of
>> benefits: first of all it will automatically do an fsck before
>> mounting the device. But secondly it can do autofs mounts, so that the
>> file system only remains mounted as long as it is accessed, and is
>> unmounted automatically a short time after the last access
>> happened. That way you get the biggest chance that the file system
>> remains clean and should it not be clean is automatically corrected.
>>
>> Lennart
>>

> ​I'm liking this idea. Thank you Lennart :)​

Just a quick follow-up to say I got the automount working but the fsck not.
Basically what happens is I do a pm-suspend on my computer with my usb disk
mounted. When I resume my computer I often forget to power on my external
disk before resuming. With the consequence that the JFS is dirty.

Sep 22 22:08:42 AndyPieters.me.uk systemd[1]:
run-media-Andy-Happy.automount: Got automount request for
/run/media/Andy/Happy, triggered by 14275 (vdir)
Sep 22 22:08:42 AndyPieters.me.uk systemd[1]: Mounting Mount the Happy
device...
Sep 22 22:08:42 AndyPieters.me.uk systemd[1]: run-media-Andy-Happy.mount:
Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
Sep 22 22:08:42 AndyPieters.me.uk systemd[1]: Failed to mount Mount the
Happy device.

[root at AndyPieters system]# systemctl cat run-media-Andy-Happy.mount
# /etc/systemd/system/run-media-Andy-Happy.mount
# Automount unit for the Happy device onto /run/media/Andy/Happy

[Unit]
Description=Mount the Happy device

[Mount]
What=/dev/disk/by-label/Happy
Where=/run/media/Andy/Happy
Type=jfs

[root at AndyPieters system]# systemctl cat run-media-Andy-Happy.automount
# /etc/systemd/system/run-media-Andy-Happy.automount
# Automount unit for the Happy device onto /run/media/Andy/Happy

[Unit]
Description=Automatically mount the Happy device

[Automount]
Where=/run/media/Andy/Happy