[systemd-devel] character limit by using "/run/systemd/journal/syslog"

Stanislav Kopp staskopp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:12:02 UTC 2018

HI all,

I'm not sure if it's systemd/journald issue, but maybe you can help
me. We're logging apache error logs with "logger" so we can write them
to specific file using rsyslog, if I run "logger" without any options
- all are duplicated in journald and I can see them in "journalctl"
overview what is no needed, I can tell "logger" to write to
"/run/systemd/journal/syslog" directly and then I don't see them in
journalctl but the logs are trimmed (about 437 characters what is
strange number). So I don't understand if it's a  "logger" bug or
somehow related to journald or even rsyslog.

Full option from apache config.

 ErrorLog "| /usr/bin/logger -p local1.info --socket
/run/systemd/journal/syslog"

Best,
Stan