[systemd-devel] Mounting luks devices: passphrase, keyctl, etc.

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sat Aug 4 22:02:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Aug/04/2018, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Hi!
>
> TL;DR: systemd can mount a cyphered partition without entering the
> passphrase (passphrase is the same to the other partitions mounted by
> initrd). How does systemd mount it?

Answering myself: plymouth (99% sure) is caching passwords and systemd
requests the cached passwords from it. Removing plymouth I'm asked for
the passwords from the initrd (no plymouth) and then systemd for the
third partition. With plymouth in my system plymouth is asking for the
passwords and systemd can fetch it from there...

I'll dig more in the code but that is what caused all the confusion for
me!

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany