[systemd-devel] Enforcing journald diskspace limit.

Frédéric HILPERT frederic at hilpert.me
Mon Aug 20 12:08:49 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have a question about systemd. Not wanting to create an issue on
githbub because there are already plenty and this may not be a bug.

I have a 1GB /var/log/ partition (on a stock Centos 7) and set
SystemMaxUse=150M in journald configuration. When I restart journald I
have this message :

/systemd-journal[53564]: Permanent journal is using 8.0M (max allowed
101.4M, trying to leave 152.1M free of 501.0M available → current limit
101.4M).//
/
Everything looks fine here, but a few days later :
/
//MyServer# journalctl --disk-usage //
//Archived and active journals take up 232.8M on disk.//
//MyServer# du -sh /var/log/journal///
//185M    /var/log/journal//

--> Am I missing something in order to enforce journal not use more than
150 (or 101.4)MB ?

Regards,
Frédéric HILPERT