[systemd-devel] When does a systemctl start ... returns to prompt?

Wojtek Swiatek w at swtk.info
Wed Aug 29 08:41:18 UTC 2018

Le mer. 29 août 2018 à 10:03, Michael Chapman <mike at very.puzzling.org> a
écrit :

Thank you for the clarification.

> > Question 2: how can I configure the prog_two/prog_three case, i.e. having
> > them starting one after the other (= start prog_three when prog_two is
> > done), and have the prompt return immediately
>
> You can use "systemctl --no-block" to have systemctl not wait for the
> service to finish activating. The downside to this is that you will have
> no indication of a problem if the service fails during activation.

But I will still see it via systemctl status prog_two.service, right? Since
this usage (at least for me) only happens when testing, it would be fine
(normally the service is ran via a timer so the problem of the prompt not
returning does not matter)

Again thank you for the help, it clarified a lot.

Cheers
Wojtek