[systemd-devel] delayed start 'on calendar' timers - is it possible?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 13 20:46:58 UTC 2018

On Do, 13.12.18 19:32, Kamil Jońca (kjonca at o2.pl) wrote:

> Assume, we want to create "OnCalendar" timer.
> and for example we want to run it at 5:0 AM.
> (ie. OnCalendar=*-*-* 5:0)
>
> How can I add this timer WITHOUT immediate running?

What do you mean by that? starting the timer doesn't mean you start
the service that the timer is supposed to start eventually, it just
means you start the timer, that's all.

If you don't to add a timer without starting it, just place the unit
file in /etc/systemd/system, and issue "systemctl daemon-reload",
without "systemctl start foobar.timer"...

> When I issue "systemctl start timer", this timer run immediately.

What do you mean by "run immediately"? Are you saying the service the
timer is supposed to start is run immediately (which would be a bug),
or just that the timer is now "hot" and waiting till its time arrives
(which is exactly what starting a timer means).

Anyway, confused what you are trying to say...