[systemd-devel] Why is systemd-run --scope synchronous?

worz worz at tuta.io
Fri Feb 2 18:00:05 UTC 2018

Hello, I was wondering why systemd-run --scope needs to be synchronous, it would be nice if someone could explain what happens under the hood, and what prevents it from just putting the process in the scope, and maybe just call the Abandon() method on the slice object's org.freedesktop.systemd1.Scope interface, when for example it is used in combination with --user, the scope is under user at 1000.service, so it should be cleaned up as soon as the service manager goes away? Note that there's not a specific usecase to cover here, I am just interested in knowing why it isn't the other way.
--Jonathon Kowalski