[systemd-devel] systemd-sysusers

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:41:28 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
wrote:

> Am 05.02.2018 um 06:56 schrieb Michael Chapman:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, Johannes Ernst wrote:
>>
>>> It appears systemd-sysusers does not create home directories. On the
>>> other hand, it picks (largely unpredictable) UIDs from a range.
>>>
>>> So I have to run systemd-sysusers, and after that, find the UID of the
>>> user and chown the home directory? Or is there the equivalent of the
>>> “useradd -m” flag somewhere that I’m just not seeing?
>>>

>> systemd-sysusers is, as the name suggests, really for _system_ users, and
>> often those kinds of users don't have ordinary home directories -- that is,
>> ones the user can actually write to.
>>
>> However, systemd-sysusers.service is ordered before
>> systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service at boot, so if you need to create a system
>> user's home directory and ensure its ownership is correct, you could use a
>> corresponding tmpfiles.d fragment to do so.
>>

> i hope you meant systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service is ordered before
> systemd-sysusers.service and you simply talked about "Before=" which in
> fact means ordered after

"Before=" means before. "After=" means after. If Unit A has "After=B", then
A is ordered after B.

$ systemctl cat systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
# /usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
…
[Unit]
Description=Create Volatile Files and Directories
Documentation=man:tmpfiles.d(5) man:systemd-tmpfiles(8)
DefaultDependencies=no
Conflicts=shutdown.target
*After=local-fs.target systemd-sysusers.service*

--
Mantas Mikulėnas