[systemd-devel] Race condition between udev rules and hwdb

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Feb 5 23:21:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 11:51:30AM +0200, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 8:02 AM, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think there is some race conditions between the udev rules and the hwdb
> > and I cannot rely that udev rules are applied consistently on a device.
> >
> > For reference, after building libinput run
> >   sudo ./build/libinput-test-suite-runner --filter-test=lid_update_hw_
> > on_key_multiple_keyboards
> > run it repeatedly and at some point it will fail.
> >
> > The source of the issue is the udev properties for the test device
> > *sometimes* get overwritten by the hwdb value of a rule with a lower
> > lexical
> > ordering. In other words: 90-something.hwdb+rules overwrites
> > 99-myrule.rules, that shouldn't happen (or at least not randomly).
> >
> > For more detail, the relevant parts are:
> >
> > 90-foo.hwdb entry with a dmi match that assigns a property
> >
> >     libinput:name:*Lid Switch*:dmi:*:ct9:*
> >      LIBINPUT_ATTR_LID_SWITCH_RELIABILITY=reliable
> >
> > and the matching 90-foo.rules:
> >     KERNELS=="input*", \
> >       IMPORT{builtin}="hwdb 'libinput:name:$attr{name}:$
> > attr{[dmi/id]modalias}'"
> >
> > This assigns 'reliable' to the device.
> >
> > I also have per-device udev rules, 92-foo.rules, in this case:
> >
> >     ATTRS{name}=="litest Lid Switch Surface3*", \
> >         ENV{ID_INPUT_SWITCH}="1", \
> >         ENV{LIBINPUT_ATTR_LID_SWITCH_RELIABILITY}="write_open"
> >
> > This overwrites 'reliable' with 'write_open'.
> >
> > On test-runner start, we install all the udev rules and hwdb files, run
> > hwdb
> > --update and then start the tests.
> >
> > In *most* cases, 'write_open' is correctly assigned to the device. In the
> > failure cases, 'reliable' is assigned. Nothing changes in the udevadm test
> > output and I've verified that the order appears to change, in the failure
> > cases the 92-foo.rules applies before the hwdb overwrites it:
> >
> >     ATTRS{name}=="litest Lid Switch Surface3*",
> >         ENV{ID_INPUT_SWITCH}="1",
> >         ENV{BONGO}="litest",
> >         ENV{LIBINPUT_ATTR_LID_SWITCH_RELIABILITY}="write_open"
> >
> >     ATTRS{name}=="litest Lid Switch Surface3*",
> >         ENV{FIRSTVAL}="$env{LIBINPUT_ATTR_LID_SWITCH_RELIABILITY}"
> >
> > Running with this udev rule shows that FIRSTVAL is write_open but the real
> > property is 'reliable'.
> >
> > This happens anywhere between 1 out of 3 and 1 out of 50, though it seems
> > be more common when creating/removing uinput devices like crazy.
>

> Here's a wild guess...
>
> I wonder if the race condition is in ATTRS{}; attributes are not cached but
> read directly from sysfs, and for ATTRS udev has to go upwards the entire
> /sys hierarchy – for each and every rule, I believe.
>
> So it could be that some rules do not match because by that time the device
> has already disappeared. What happens if you change the rules to rely
> entirely on ENV{} matches?

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I couldn't verify it. I tried that
yesterday but it's... difficult. Matching on ENV{NAME} turned out to be more
volatile than I expected [1] but the main issue I have here is that NAME is
set on the parent input device, not on the evdev node where everything else
is set. There is no ENVS support to search up from the device, so I'm not
sure I could coerce the rules and hwdb matching into the required hierarchy.
Some of the match bits require the event node's detail, so I can't easily
assign the properties to the parent device.

That aside, I *know* that the devices aren't removed until I finished with
them, they're created in the same process as part of the test setup/tear
down. And after the uinput device is created, I even wait for udev's 'add'
event before passing control to libinput [2]. So in theory, there's no way
the device is being deleted before udev had time to set everything up.

Given they're a hierarchy too, what's the likelyhood that
/sys/.../input/input123 device isn't there when the
/sys/.../input/input123/event0 device shows up?

Cheers,
   Peter

[1] I think udev easily gets confused here because the name includes the
quotes so any rule has to either use * or use some magic I can't figure out
to work around that.
[2] https://github.com/wayland-project/libinput/blob/master/test/litest.c#L2732