[systemd-devel] Why is systemd-run --scope synchronous?

worz worz at tuta.io
Tue Feb 6 12:09:26 UTC 2018

Sorry for the badly formatted emails, I'll use a different provider thatactually allows sending plain-text emails next time. I could only noticeafter it was sent.

Yes, I meant it in terms of foreground vs background. For example, not specifying --scope just pushes it into a service, while with scope, whilethe process executed is inside the scope unit, the systemd-run process isconnected to the terminal (without the use of -t) and running in the foreground of the shell. I am not sure why things are different. I alsonotice the difference is that in case of --scope, the service manager isnot really the parent process, and it's just that systemd-run creates a transient scope and places the process inside it, which is ok, but not surewhy it is different than running it as a service, or even running the processin the scope unit as a child of the service manager. I guess I don't reallyunderstand the purpose of scope units properly, which is why this might be confusing (and this probably relates to how tmux could have properly moved itself out of the session scope by creating a new one transparently makinga bus call to systemd). I would appreciate a little explanation on whatI'm getting wrong and how it is supposed to work.
5. Feb 2018 19:29 by lennart at poettering.net: