[systemd-devel] systemd-journald may crash during memory pressure

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Feb 10 00:16:44 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-09 at 12:41 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> This last log lines indicates journald wasn't scheduled for a long
> time which caused the watchdog to hit and journald was
> aborted. Consider increasing the watchdog timeout if your system is
> indeed that loaded and that's is supposed to be an OK thing...

BTW I've seen the same behavior on a system with a single active
process that uses enough memory to trigger significant swap use. I
wonder if there has been a regression in the kernel causing misbehavior
when swapping? The problems aren't specific to journald - desktop
environment can totally freeze too etc.