[systemd-devel] Missing kernel service for systemd causes user at 0.service to fail

tedheadster tedheadster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:27:57 UTC 2018

>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[1]: user at 0.service: About to execute:
>> /lib/systemd/systemd --user
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[1]: user at 0.service: Forked
>> /lib/systemd/systemd as 111
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[1]: user at 0.service: Changed dead -> start
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[1]: Starting User Manager for UID 0...
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[1]: user at 0.service: User lookup
>> succeeded: uid=0 gid=0
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[111]: user at 0.service: Kernel keyring
>> not supported, ignoring.
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[111]: PAM failed: Function not
>> implemented
>> Feb 14 23:48:57 intel486 systemd[111]: user at 0.service: Failed to set
>> up PAM session: Function not implemented
>> […]

> Examine all modules listed in /etc/pam.d/systemd-user, and enable all kernel
> options *those* modules might need.
>
> `strace pamtester systemd-user $USER acct_mgmt open_session close_session`
> might be a good method.

So far no luck with pamtester; everything worked:

/root # pamtester systemd-user root acct_mgmt open_session close_session
pamtester: account management done.
pamtester: successfully opened a session
pamtester: session has successfully been closed.
/root #

I will look at /etc/pam.d/systemd-user next.

- Matthew