[systemd-devel] timezone aware timers

Dan Nicholson nicholson at endlessm.com
Tue Feb 20 17:20:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Di, 20.02.18 11:14, Iain Lane (iain at orangesquash.org.uk) wrote:
>
>> I also don't know how we'd get notified of the timezone changing.
>> inotify on /etc/timezone?
>
> /etc/timezone is usually a symlink, and iirc we can't install inotify
> on a symlink (only in the containing dir, but that means a lot more
> wakeups).

Drive-by comment: the file you want to watch is /etc/localtime. That's
what glibc reads to get the default timezone in preference to the $TZ
environment variable -
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html.
/etc/timezone is just a Debian thing to keep the name of the timezone.
I'm not sure what uses that file.