[systemd-devel] failed to start openvpn

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 3 08:27:43 UTC 2018

Am 03.01.2018 um 09:20 schrieb Parlin Tampubolon:
> dear sir reindl,
>
> thank you very much for your reply and the gooood advise,
> now my service is already running.
>
> openvpn at server.service - OpenVPN Robust And Highly Flexible Tunneling
> Application On server
>     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/openvpn at .service; enabled;
> vendor preset: disabled)
>     Active: active (running) since Wed 2018-01-03 13:52:07 WIB; 6s ago
>   Main PID: 28900 (openvpn)
>     CGroup: /system.slice/system-openvpn.slice/openvpn at server.service
>             └─28900 /usr/sbin/openvpn --cd /etc/openvpn/ --config
> server.conf
>
> /for this error Options error: --tls-auth fails with 'ta.key': No such
> file or directory (errno=2)/
> I dont have file for ta.key, so I set comment for this code, and now my
> service. running
well you need to create it as all the other files too
openvpn --genkey --secret ta.key

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Hardening#Useof--tls-auth

for 2.4 tls-crypt is better
https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/151194/openvpns-new-tls-crypt-option

P.S: don't use reply-all on lists, i don't need duplicate mails hence
dupliates are droppend on our mailserver and your offlist copy is
faster, so the later one is deleted and my copy don#t have list-headers
which means you break the reply-list button, threading and so on