[systemd-devel] How to start a task after system boot but only on specific days using systemd.timer

Joerg Diederich joerg_diederich at freenet.de
Tue Jan 9 19:28:16 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have a little (perhaps strange) requirement:
I want to execute a script about five minutes after system boot, but only on specific weekdays (e. g. Sundays) using systemd.timer. I tried a combination of OnBootSec and OnCalendar like

OnBootSec=5m
OnCalendar=Sun

but this doesn't work. My script executes always after boot. I'm running systemd-228-38.1.x86_64 on SuSE LEAP 42.3. Of course, I can modify my script to ask for the current weekday, but I thought, it would be more elegant to configure it all together in the timer unit file.

Any hint is really appreciated.

Regards,
Joerg