[systemd-devel] How to start a task after system boot but only on specific days using systemd.timer

Jérémy Rosen jeremy.rosen at smile.fr
Wed Jan 10 09:02:18 UTC 2018

On 10/01/2018 05:17, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 09.01.2018 22:28, Joerg Diederich пишет:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a little (perhaps strange) requirement:
>> I want to execute a script about five minutes after system boot, but only on specific weekdays (e. g. Sundays) using systemd.timer. I tried a combination of OnBootSec and OnCalendar like
>>
>> OnBootSec=5m
>> OnCalendar=Sun
>>
>> but this doesn't work.
> Well, it works but not they way you want it :) As documented, multiple
> directives are additive - timer will trigger when any of them elapses.
> May be it could be expressed more obviously.

There is a workaround but it's a bit more complicated than it should be
: use multiple timers.

timer1.timer ; OnBootSec=5m
timer1.service ; Wants=timer2

timer2.timer ; Oncalendar=Sun

Note that you need the intermediate unit, you cant user
Unit=timer2.timer in timer1.timer because a timer is not allowed to
start another time (I don't know why)

You can also have a look at https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/7023
where II suggested something similar for upstream

Cheers
Jérémy

>> My script executes always after boot. I'm running systemd-228-38.1.x86_64 on SuSE LEAP 42.3. Of course, I can modify my script to ask for the current weekday, but I thought, it would be more elegant to configure it all together in the timer unit file.
> This would likely require new directive or at least new syntax. Timers
> define point in time, not period of time.

SMILE <http://www.smile.eu/>

20 rue des Jardins
92600 Asnières-sur-Seine

*Jérémy ROSEN*
Architecte technique
Responsable de l'expertise Smile-ECS

email jeremy.rosen at smile.fr <mailto:jeremy.rosen at smile.fr>
phone +33141402967
url http://www.smile.eu

Twitter <https://twitter.com/GroupeSmile> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/smileopensource> LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/smile> Github
<https://github.com/Smile-SA>

Découvrez l’univers Smile, rendez-vous sur smile.eu
<http://smile.eu/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=signature>

eco Pour la planète, n'imprimez ce mail que si c'est nécessaire