[systemd-devel] Systemd startup question

Boyce, Kevin P [US] (AS) Kevin.Boyce at ngc.com
Wed Jan 10 20:38:53 UTC 2018

Good Afternoon list,

I am having a problem with my systemd service file and I think I now understand the problem. I'll describe below, but I'm hoping there is a way around it which someone may be able to illuminate me on.

I am developing an rpm package with software which gets installed under /opt/my/bin/service.  Imagine I have a corresponding directory in /opt/my/etc/systemd/system/my-service.service incorporated into the package.  As part of the package installation the post install script runs systemctl enable /opt/my/etc/systemd/system/my-service.service

My service file has an After=basic.target, Before=network.target,  WantedBy=Default.target, and  ExecStart=/opt/my/bin/service.

All of the symlinks appear to be ok.  After installation when the user runs systemctl start my-service.service everything works as expected.

However, when rebooting everything is not so nice.  In the journal one can observe the error "Cannot add dependency job for unit my-service.service, ignoring: Unit not found."

/opt happens to be on a separate partition than / and /usr.  I'm assuming during systemd startup that systemd is parsing  everything before /opt is moutned and coming across a broken symlink /etc/systemd/system/my-service.service.

Is there any other solution than removing the symlink and installing my-service.service unit file in /etc/systemd/system directly?
We have a requirement to keep our software neatly confined in /opt/my.

Kind Regards,
Kevin