[systemd-devel] Why "systemctl -H <host>" instead of "ssh <host> -- systemctl"

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 12 13:24:22 UTC 2018

On Fr, 12.01.18 10:16, Francis Moreau (francis.moro at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering why systemctl has the -H option whereas one can achieve
> the same by calling "ssh <host> -- systemctl ...".

Not too much. However it has some benefits, for example it will
auto-page as usual and the pager is run locally which the ssh line
above wouldn't do of course...

Also, "-H" allows you to do stuff such as "-H foobar:waldo:quux" which
means we'll talk to host "foobar" and then its container "waldo" and
the container "quux" nested into that...