[systemd-devel] systemctl start second.service first.service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 12 16:38:54 UTC 2018

On Do, 11.01.18 17:24, Andrei Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Ordering dependencies are between jobs. To have any effect here
> systemd must have both start jobs queued concurrently. What is
> unexpected is that multiple services are apparently submitted as
> individual independent jobs, not as single "transaction". I am not
> sure even if there is method to start multiple units concurrently.
>
> > Is this behavior documented somewhere?
>
> The systemctl behavior? Not to my best knowledge, at least explicitly.

Yeah, we should document this behaviour. Anyone cares to file a bug?
or even prep a PR?

I figure the original plan was to keep our options open by not
documenting the precise effect, in order that we can change behaviour
here and make it a single transaction, but since we still didn't do
that I figure we should document behaviour here, and when we add this
later do so in an opt-in way via some switch, since such a change of
behaviour would be pretty much a compat breakage at this point.