[systemd-devel] How to make journald increase logs storage capacity?

vcaputo at pengaru.com vcaputo at pengaru.com
Sat Jan 20 19:11:47 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 08:28:21PM +0300, 4xy wrote:
> I have limit in 4Gb for journald regardless of the settings I've made. I see
> this line in the manual
>
> |$ sudo systemctl status systemd-journald ... jan 20 15:44:26 host
> systemd-journald[1218]: System journal (/var/log/journal/) is 4.5G, max
> 4.0G, 0B free. jan 20 15:44:26 host systemd-journald[1218]: Journal started|
>
> I see this line in the manual.
>
> > The first pair defaults to 10%  and the second to 15% of the size of the
> > respective file system, but
> each value is capped to 4G.

This is referencing the defaults configured automatically, they're first
computed as a %age, confined to 4G.  The wording of that sentence could
probably be improved in the documentaiton.

> I have about 1Gb logs per day. I would like to have ability to keep them
> about 3 months.

It sounds like you want to keep around 100G of logs:

SystemMaxUse=100G

Note that performance of commands like `journalctl` and even `systemctl
status $unit` drops significantly with large numbers of journals.
As a consequence, you may want to increase the maximum size of the
individual journal files so there are fewer of them:

SystemMaxFileSize=10G

Something like that...

Regards,
Vito Caputo