[systemd-devel] systemd-journald missing crash logs

Farzad Panahi farzad.panahi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 03:53:42 UTC 2018

Hi Lennart - Thanks for your comments.

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 4:11 AM, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
wrote:

> On Fr, 12.01.18 16:13, Farzad Panahi (farzad.panahi at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > I am running Arch-ARM on RPi3. I have noticed when system crashes I
> cannot
> > find any related crash log in journal logs.
>
> What specifically is a "crash" supposed to mean?

Crash in my case means that the box becomes unresponsive. Meaning that I
cannot ssh to it anymore until it is power cycled. I do not know what is
happening to the box because there are no logs at the time of crash. Logs
start rolling after the reboot.

journald syncs to disk whenever a log message above LOG_ERR is
> delivered. I am not sure what "crash" is supposed to mean, but are you
> sure that at least one LOG_CRIT/LOG_ALERT/LOG_EMERG message is
> delivered to userspace about that?
>
> I am not sure about that. I just assume if some critical issue is
happening such that it makes the system unresponsive, then there should be
high priority logs associated with it.

> > Since the syslog component of systemd, journald, does not flush its
> > > logs to disk during normal operation, these logs will be gone when the
> > > machine is shut down abnormally (power loss, kernel lock-ups, ...). In
> > > the case of kernel lock-ups, it is pretty important to have some
> > > kernel logs for debugging. Until journald gains a configuration option
> > > for flushing kernel logs, rsyslog can be used in conjunction with
> > > journald.
>
> As mentioned above, we wil sync immediately when a
> LOG_CRIT/LOG_ALERT/LOG_EMERG log message is seen. We'll also sync on
> normal log messages with a delay of 5min at max:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/
> journal/journald-server.c#L1440
>
> if you get get a hard kernel lockup for some reason then this all is
> useless however, as userspace won't even get the opportunity to write
> anything to disk then... And it doesn't matter if userspace runs
> journald or rsyslog.

So I think one of the following is happening:
a) no log is generated at the time of crash (I think this is unlikely)
b) log is generated but does not reach journald
c) log reaches journald but journald does not get a chance to persist it
d) journald persists the log but somehow the log is corrupted and ignored

I think scenario "c" is the most probable one in my case. So I just want to
confirm if kernel panics, then most probably I will not see any logs in my
log files? Is there a recommended workaround to debug such cases?