[systemd-devel] Again, why this strange behavior implied by "auto" in fstab ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 23 15:54:28 UTC 2018

Am 23.01.2018 um 16:49 schrieb Simon McVittie:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 at 15:47:21 +0100, Franck Bui wrote:
>> Basically, systemd mounts all filesystems listed in /etc/fstab (unless
>> "noauto" is used) which is good since that's how fstab was used when
>> SysV was the init system.
>>
>> However it also introduced another "feature" which basically
>> automagically mounts a filesystem (listed in fstab) every time its
>> backend device re-appears.
>
> Am I right in thinking this is only done if the filesystem is not declared
> as noauto in fstab?

with Fedora 27 (yesterday upgraded) systemd even don't leave "noauto"
mount-point in peace and spits the "Failed to read symlink target for
/mnt/arrakis: Permission denied" for fuse-mountpoints multiple times
each day into the systemlogs (systemd-234-9.fc27.x86_64)

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ systemctl daemon-reload

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat messages
Jan 23 16:52:16 srv-rhsoft systemd-fstab-generator[27644]: Failed to
read symlink target for /mnt/arrakis: Permission denied

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/fstab | grep /mnt/arrakis
sshfs#reindl at arrakis:/
/mnt/arrakis                       fuse
noauto,user,rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=harry