[systemd-devel] Again, why this strange behavior implied by "auto" in fstab ?

Franck Bui fbui at suse.de
Wed Jan 31 09:15:24 UTC 2018

> I am not convinced the reasoning is convincing for such a major change
> (I mean, let's not forget that systemd's current behaviour has been
> around for more than half a decade too already). If you want other
> bits of the code not to interfere what you are doing, then take the
> BSD lock and all will be good, it's the right, the better thing to do,
> and you have to do it anway. It will not only stop systemd from
> interfering but everything else too...

Lennart, would you accept such changes ?

 1. introduce a new option for mount units that turn ON/OFF
    the automatic mount feature systemd introduced.

 2. make fstab-generator uses this option if "noauto" is not
    used. This would have the benefit to explicitly see if this
    option is used when reading a mount unit file and make it
    available for those who directly created mount units.

 3. make a compile option (--compat-sysv-fstab or such) which
    would turn the automatic mount feature OFF by default for
    mount units generated by fstab-generator.

 4. introduce a new kernel command line switch to override the
    default (whatever its value).

 5. introduce a new fstab option "x-systemd.auto" or such that
    would override 3. and 4.

At least distros would be free to choose if they want to turn the
feature ON by default. And the adding of new options would clarify the
current situation IMHO.

Thanks.