[systemd-devel] systemd-sysusers

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 05:20:19 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 6:33 AM Roman Mingazeev <direnol at yandex.ru> wrote:

> Hello, can you help?
> 1) Is there any possibility to implement to add and remove users/groups
> via systemd-sysusers ?

Addition is already implemented (I mean, that's the whole point)... removal
*probably* won't be, as it could very easily lead to UID collisions (e.g.
you remove an account which had UID 994, and then a week later you add a
different account with UID 994).

Note that sysusers is meant for *system* accounts (daemons, services, etc.)
– not for human accounts.

> 2) And where is systemd-sysusers.service? (Or why it is in man)

It's in the same place as other default services. Try `systemctl cat` or
`systemctl status` and it'll show the path. (Assuming your distro hasn't
removed the service entirely, that is...)

> 3) Can I sync uid:gid on different machines

For human accounts? In general, the service isn't meant for that. Deploying
a sysusers config with static UIDs to all your machines would work, but I'd
say it's overkill – after all, you could just use the same configuration
deploy mechanism to add accounts directly. Most sites use LDAP or NIS for
that purpose.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas