[systemd-devel] Waiting on a bus name to appear in systemd service

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:10:44 UTC 2018

systemd can depend on services, not bus names. In your example, you'd want:

Wants=polkit

However, in most cases, you don't actually want to do this; if the service
(in this case, polkit) tells systemd what bus name it is going to ask for,
systemd will automatically wait when your service asks for it.

For instance, the moment your service tries to connect to
org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1, systemd will wait for polkit to start before
letting your service continue.