[systemd-devel] Graphical session targets as standard

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 30 15:04:20 UTC 2018

Hello Alberto,

Alberto Salvia Novella [2018-06-28  6:33 +0200]:
> Currently many Linux Distributions don't activate graphical-session.target
> and graphical-session-pre.target during login.
>
> I liked to know which software should ideally be in charge of that. So I can
> inform their developers about it, and have that behavior widely adopted.

These should never be enabled or started directly. It is merely an abstract
alias for any concrete X session such as {gnome,xfce,kde}-session.target.
Please see the following for more information:

  * man systemd.special
  * https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/c92fcc4f4375b0
  * My talk about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq18daxTkLA
  * Slides for the talk: https://people.debian.org/~mpitt/systemd.conf-2016-graphical-session.pdf